Carers' Assessments

Triangle-of-Care-kite-mark-without-stars.pngCarers can be included in a joint assessment with a service user but they are also entitled to an independent assessment of their own needs under the Care Act 2014.

This means that a professional can meet with you to determine any needs you may have and how services are best placed to meet these needs.

It is an assessment to see what you needs are and how you can be supported and helped as a carer.

It is not about how you carry out your caring role and it is not about testing your ability to care.

This assessment is completely confidential between you and the person assessing and can take place at a venue where you feel comfortable. This may be via a telephone conversation, within your home, a public place or any other mutually agreed location.

The agency providing the assessment can differ depending on a number of factors.

Who to Contact

The person you care for, or support, will have a named person responsible for their care whilst in our services. They, or any other member of the team, can make a referral for a Carers' Assessment on your behalf, or you can refer yourself by contacting the following services.

Staffordshire - within Staffordshire assessments are provided by The Carers Hub. Please phone on 0330 123 1937 or email Their website address is

Shropshire - in Shropshire assessments are carried out by Mental Health Social Workers within the Adult Social Care Teams. Shropshire Mental Health Social Work Team can be contacted on 01743 255 895 Monday to Thursday 8.45am 5.00pm and 8.45am 4.00pm Friday or via email

For other information, advice and support in Shropshire, please contact Crossroads Together - 01743 341995 or you can email them at

Telford & Wrekin - In Telford & Wrekin the assessments are undertaken by the Council Social Work Teams, Hadley Castle 01952 387183 (North), Wrekin Hub 01952 385577 (Central) or Lakeside South 01952 385465 (South) or by The Carers Centre, located at The Glebe Centre, Glebe St. Wellington 01952 240 209 email at

You can register as a carer, even if you do not feel that you need any help or support at the moment.

Any of the agencies providing a Carer’s Assessment can liaise with mental health teams, both inpatient and community, either with you or on your behalf.

There are also a number of voluntary organisations who offer a whole range of services open to carers, that we can signpost you to.

Should you require information to help the person you care for, the first point of contact is the Access Service for Adult Mental Health who will be able to assist you. This might involve a brief conversation to ensure we direct you to the most appropriate service or Pathway.

South Staffordshire Access Service: please phone 0300 555 5001

Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin Access Service: please phone 0300 124 0365

Other Support

CASS The Carers' Association

Shropshire Carers Service

Telford and Wrekin
Main contact number 01952 240209

The following document contains details of many organisations that offer support and advice to carers:

Carer Information Advice and Guidance

Carer Engagement Standards

The Trust carer engagement standards have been adapted from the Triangle of Care as this is the model the Trust has agreed to adopt and implement

Standard One: Carer Role

  • Carers' Play an essential role and should be identified at first contact or as soon as possible
  • Identification of a carer should be a routine part of assessment
  • Carers views and knowledge should be routinely sought throughout assessment, care planning, intervention and review
  • Where there are consent issues regarding carer involvement this should be routinely re-visited
  • The carer should be routinely updated and involved in planning and review/discharge meetings
  • Treatment and strategies for medication management should be explained to carers
  • Carers should have access to advice re advocacy, equipment and welfare rights

Standard Two: Staff Training

  • Staff need to be "carer aware" and trained in carer engagement strategies
  • All clinical staff should receive carer awareness training
  • Clinical supervision should address carer engagement and awareness
  • The Trust should identify staff who are carer champions and who support staff and input into awareness training
  • A Carer Engagement Forum is in place to consider ongoing awareness and engagement issues

Standard Three: Confidentiality

  • The Trust should have in place and review regularly practice protocols regarding confidentiality and sharing of information
  • Service user consent should be sought to share information and the level of information which can be shared as a routine part of assessment and re-visited regularly
  • Carers should be offered support and general information even when consent has not been agreed with the service user
  • Carers should be encouraged to share information regarding the service user as this will inform assessment, planning, intervention and review/discharge
  • Advance statements or directives should be routinely discussed with service users

Standard Four: Carer Leads

Every team and ward has a staff member with lead responsibility for carers, although all staff are responsible for involving carers.

Standard Five: Information

The Trust should ensure carers are introduced to the service and staff, with a relevant range of information available:

  • Carers should be provided with information about the service on first contact or as soon after as is possible
  • Information should explain the service and points of contact
  • Carers are offered an early formal appointment to hear their story and address any carer concerns
  • Carers should be offered information regarding therapeutic interventions, diagnosis and medication monitoring
  • A Trust information pack should routinely be provided to carers as part of the introductory process
  • The format of information provided by the Trust is flexible and regularly updated
  • Carers should be made aware of the PALS and complaints process

Standard Six: Support for Carers

The Trust should ensure that a range of carer support is available:

  • The Trust can signpost you to other agencies who can offer support groups for carers in your local area.
  • Carers should have access to local advocacy services.
  • Carers should have access to 1:1 support when needed whilst the service user is in services and this will be offered through carer agencies if required, thereafter.
  • Carers are offered a carers assessment and where appropriate a support package which will be arranged through the local authority or signposted to other agencies who will undertake this.
  • Family therapy or talking therapies are offered to carers if required.

Hide this section
Show accessibility tools